Security Warehouse Support Forum

[Ticket Question] Galaxy Dimension

Secware

Hi,

I've been looking into the Galaxy dimension system for my home for a few reasons, I need to protect the house and two out buildings and I like the IP/GPRS options.

Now an oversight on my behalf is the use of RS485 between modules and remote panels, I'm used to systems like the the Honeywell G4.
When doing up the house I've used 6 core standard cable, so my problem will be the cable to the remote panel by the front door.
The length of this cable is under 10 metres, will I get away with this?

As for the 2nd panel upstairs and a powered RIO out in the garage I can easily run cat5 cable.

I don't normally ask questions like this but this cable has been run and plastered into the wall.

Thanks for the info on the RS-485.

As for the GPRS I realised after writing the above with further research I was barking up the wrong tree!

I'm after something like a dialler to inform me should the alarm be activated but I don't want to use a dialler.

Is there any better options for this?

Thanks

Nick

The Dimension supports an Ethernet module E080-2 / E080-4 or the lower cost LCE-01 compatible.  All of these work with phone apps, but only the first two work with the Honeywell variant of the app. The LCE does not work with the Honeywell app - only the virtualkeypad apps from SelfMon.

The benefit of the bus connected devices above is that you get lots of useful information and can remote control the panel.  A normal 'pins only' generic dialer (PSTN or GSM) can be connected using panel outputs, but the information provided by one of these generic devices is limited to the fact that the system is in alarm / fire / panic. The information is not granular and there's no remote control to make any changes or control the panel.

The Ethernet modules above do not provide any signaling like SMS/Email/Voice Etc, so you need to subscribe to a third party service for that.  The Galaxy panels can connect to the SelfMon platform for this. SelfMon is a low cost self monitoring IP based platform.

Hope this makes sense and provides some clarity.