Security Warehouse Support Forum

Door Swipe system required for Gym

Geoff-Keen

I have a requirement to install an access control system on the door to a Gym. I need to be able to open the door from 10am to 4pm but at all other times the card would be required. I have looked at the ACT prox 5 and the paxton compact vandal resistant but cant see how i can open the door for the required times. I plan on using a yale lock and a release and wonder if i need to use an exit button when my members can just open the lock? Am i missing something here?

I dont want to spend a fortune but i need something reliable and easy to manage

Thanks

Geoff

I have a requirement to install an access control system on the door to a Gym. I need to be able to open the door from 10am to 4pm but at all other times the card would be required. I have looked at the ACT prox 5 and the paxton compact vandal resistant but cant see how i can open the door for the required times. I plan on using a yale lock and a release and wonder if i need to use an exit button when my members can just open the lock? Am i missing something here?

I dont want to spend a fortune but i need something reliable and easy to manage

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff, I would recommend the ACT prox keypads for your application. The compact is programmed using shadow cards and you need to keep a duplicate of every card / tag that is issued. The act system uses the keypad for programming so deleting a lost card is a simple as entering the user number to be deleted. This will also save in the long term as you dont need to buy 2 cards (user and shadow) for every user. The act 5 system has a limit of 50 users though, if this isnt enough have a look at the smart2 1080. The 1080 has the advantage of being able to network with upto 8 other doors and connect to a pc at a later date. 

Tech

Geoff, I would recommend the ACT prox keypads for your application. The compact is programmed using shadow cards and you need to keep a duplicate of every card / tag that is issued. The act system uses the keypad for programming so deleting a lost card is a simple as entering the user number to be deleted. This will also save in the long term as you dont need to buy 2 cards (user and shadow) for every user. The act 5 system has a limit of 50 users though, if this isnt enough have a look at the smart2 1080. The 1080 has the advantage of being able to network with upto 8 other doors and connect to a pc at a later date. 

Tech

The new Act5Prox can actually handle 100 users if using a combination of card and pin. 50 Card, 50 PIN. It is 50 users if all on Pin & Prox.

The Smart2 range can handle 1000 users and yes, can be networked giving an easily installed and practical solution.

The benefits of the ACT product using standard tokens over the 'shadow' card option can give considerable cost savings, in essence, half the price and simpler ordering process for additional cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Its upto yourself if you fit a push to exit button, it will give it a more professional finish but as you said can be opened by turning the yale.

a point to remember though.... if you are fitting this on a fire route you must have a green break glass unit for emergencies, which will make the door fail safe so people dont get trapped in a panic

Its upto yourself if you fit a push to exit button, it will give it a more professional finish but as you said can be opened by turning the yale.

a point to remember though.... if you are fitting this on a fire route you must have a green break glass unit for emergencies, which will make the door fail safe so people dont get trapped in a panic

Yes as above if used ona fire door it must have a fail safe means of opening the door in the event of a fire. This could be a breakglass or the 'yale' if fitted