Security Warehouse Support Forum

[Ticket Question] Can you help me fix my current alarm?

Hi, hoping you can help. Following a recent burglary thought I'd try and fix my alarm system! I've currently got a 12 year old Optima system that doesn't really work. Wondering if a new battery would fix it, or should I simply replace the unit with an upgrade? I have a number of wired sensors around the home, not sure if I should replace or keep? External sounder may also need an upgrade, as well as placing an additional box on the front of the house, not sure if I should fit a dummy box,or wire in an additional sounder? Added consideration, I would like to alarm my garage, thought I could use old box? but would need door sensors x 3, as birds get in etc. I'm basically wondering what the best option would be? Would a basic wiring/electrical understanding be enough to fit a system? Do complete kits come with wiring instructions? My existing unit, ADE Optima Compact fits nicely into a 270mm x 200mm 'cubby hole', would a replacement unit be a similar size to fit in? You seem to have loads of options and would really appreciate some advice. To conclude, I think I need either replacement batteries and hope present unit will then work, and buy a new system for the garage wirh door sensors not movement ones. Or, new system for house, using exisiting wires and re-install old system for garage.

Sorry to go on, hoping you can help,

Many regards,

Hi

Wondering if a new battery would fix it, or should I simply replace the unit with an upgrade?

Its impossibel to know if new batts will help or not. It really depends on what is wrong with it. If they are 12 years old then they will definetly need replacing.

Its a similar question to 'My car doesnt work, will a new x help?'

A bettery will only help if you have power issues. If the system has never been serviced then the battery will be shot. A totally failed battery can and does damage the panel. So you may have other issues etc.

I have a number of wired sensors around the home, not sure if I should replace or keep?

Again a difficult one to answer. If they are high end units then i would probably keep, but at 12 years old if they arnt high end units i would replace. Decent sensors are available now for