Security Warehouse Support Forum

Honeywell Galaxy 2-20/2-44

mikel

I would like to install either a Honeywell Galaxy 2-20 or 2-44.

The house is very large with detached garages 10m away. Because the majority of the house

floors can not be lifted and the decoration disturbed a wireless system must be fitted. This

does not seem to be a problem for the Galaxy G2.

Initial assessment suggest that in excess of 40 wireless detectors are required (dual-tec,

door contacts, smoke alarms etc). As far as I can tell from the Honeywell specs there is no

limit to the number of wireless detectors that can be added to the system, is this correct?

Without doing a detailed RF site survey I anticipate that 2 RF portals will be required, the

maximum that can be fitted with the Galaxy G2. The specs say that RF range in free space

is 2km and once inside the fabric of a building reduces down to 100m. Is this a realistic

assumption for a 2 storey block/brick house with little or no steel work?

I assume that the standard PSU in the Galaxy 2-20 or 2-44 control panel is okay to drive

2 RF portals, looking at the specs?

Honeywell have released a second generation RF portal C079-2, is this available yet?

There also seem to be some new panic buttons available such as TCBPA8M, can these

be obtained yet? I can't see them on the web site.

The installation manual describes the programming of the system via the keypad, which

looks time consuming. The other option seems to be the RSS via RS-232. How would I

obtain this software?

Any help would be welcome.

Thank you

Michael.

• 1 month later...

Micheal

This product is now a stock item

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2193

There is a limit yes. With the G2 20 that is 20 wireless zones, and 44 on the G2-44. This assumes you dont use any of the wired zones. ie if you use 10 wired zones that would lower the available wireless zones by 10.

The dimension can support more as they are bigger panels. Again it depends on the version of the Dimension you have.

The G2 can indeed support 2 Rf portals. The dimension can support more.

regarding range. How long is a peice of string? In theory then yes a 2km free space range should be fine at well over 100m internally. But all this depends on building material, site conditions etc. The only way to be 100% with wireless is to do a site survey.

99% of installs will be fine and no site survey would be needed. But there are always some sites where wireless is unsuitable. The main advantage with the portal idea is that you can position your 2/3/4 recievers in the areas required to cover the site. Most of the time you will only need 1 portal. The advantage of this system means IF you have a range issue then you can add additional recievers.

As above the new portal is now a stock item

Programming through the keypad is very simple. All the galaxy panels can be 'downloaded' to either via their in built modems, or via 232. The problem is the software as this is currently only available to registered honeywell installers. There are various un dongled versions floating around the internet you may be able to find one, but im afraid we are not permitted to sell it to unregistered installers.

James

Hello James,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for letting me know.

There is a limit yes. With the G2 20 that is 20 wireless zones, and 44 on the G2-44. This assumes you dont use any of the wired zones. ie if you use 10 wired zones that would lower the available wireless zones by 10.

The dimension can support more as they are bigger panels. Again it depends on the version of the Dimension you have.

Okay, that makes sense.

The G2 can indeed support 2 Rf portals. The dimension can support more.

regarding range. How long is a peice of string? In theory then yes a 2km free space range should be fine at well over 100m internally. But all this depends on building material, site conditions etc. The only way to be 100% with wireless is to do a site survey.

99% of installs will be fine and no site survey would be needed. But there are always some sites where wireless is unsuitable. The main advantage with the portal idea is that you can position your 2/3/4 recievers in the areas required to cover the site. Most of the time you will only need 1 portal. The advantage of this system means IF you have a range issue then you can add additional recievers.

As above the new portal is now a stock item

I understand the issues, we will do a site survey first.

Programming through the keypad is very simple. All the galaxy panels can be 'downloaded' to either via their in built modems, or via 232. The problem is the software as this is currently only available to registered honeywell installers. There are various un dongled versions floating around the internet you may be able to find one, but im afraid we are not permitted to sell it to unregistered installers.

We will go for the keypad in that case.

Best regards,

Michael.