Security Warehouse Support Forum

Help needed with system selection!

andyhart21

Hi, I am looking for some help and advice with selecting an alarm system for the house I am currently renovating. It is a four bedroom house with an external garage which I would also like protecting. I would prefer a wired system as from my experiences at work, I am not fully convinced of the reliability of wireless technology!  I am nearing the first-fix stage so now is the time to start planning the alarm system. I am an industrial electrician and plan to install it myself but I have no prior experience of alarm systems or installation. Here are my thoughts so far:

1.) A colleague recommended Bosch Blue Line BLD-P sensors, what do you guys think? Would one of these be suitable for an unheated garage?

2.) I like the look (from an aesthetic point of view) of the Texecom Premier flush mounted keypads, what alarm panels are these best suited for?

3.) I would prefer proximity tag arming/disarming of the system as I would like at least 6 people to have access to the property and trying to get them to remember a code would be virtually impossible ;D Which panel/keypad would be best suited to this? I would also like a second keypad by the back door, can you have two proximity keypads on the same system?

4.) Are door/window contacts really necessary if the room is covered with a PIR?

5.) As the property will be unoccupied for approximately the next six months, do you think some sort of internal alarm would be a good idea in case a burglar gets inside the property?

I would welcome any recommendations for all the other equipment I will need for the installation.

Thanks in advance, Andy :)

Andy ill try to answer your questions below

1, Its not normally a good idea to use a PIR in a garage due to the environment. Id advise a dualtec based detector.

2, Keypads are not interchangable normally. they will only work on the panel they are designed for. In this case the texecom premier

3, Any panel that supports prox can do this, ie texecom premier, honeywell galaxy. Even the humble accenta can.

4, Depends on the risk. Insurance co's tend to prefer external doors as well as space protection. It is general good practice.

5, Yes, IMHO

Texecom premier is a fine panel.

Panel choice is a difficult one. Its what your trained on / used to generally. For example while the prem is a fine panel i dont have one at home. I have a galaxy dimension.

Recommending kit for a site I havnt seen or know little about is difficult. Might be better to upload a site plan? so we can get a feel for the risk etc

Thanks for the fast reply.

Are the Bosch Blue Line BLD-P not dual tec sensors? I lists three versions of the BLD-P sensors, all with different frequencies (9.9GHz, 10.525GHz or 10.687GHz) - would it matter which frequency I used?

Forgive my ignorance, but why do companies sell 6,8 or 12 core alarm cable? I have only ever seen 6 core used in alarm installations, so what are the extra cores used for? Would you say it is worth using shielded cable in a domestic installation? (bearing in mind I have complete access to all cable runs so I can physically isolate any cable runs from power circuits)

What do I need to look for with bell boxes? Is it the general rule of 'you get what you pay for?'

Cheers, Andy

Sorry , i read that as a blp. You are right it is a dualtec so yes it is as a general statement suitable.

Multicore cable is used for additional circuits etc. As a general rule you would use 6 core. On an EOL panel this would allow a spare pair at each device.

Bellbox wise

Yes you do pretty much get what you pay for as with most things. Customers tend to choose bellboxes based on apperance, sound output and current draw.

Also installers like to identify their systems with same bell etc, that is why you have multiple covers for the same sounders.