Security Warehouse Support Forum

Replacement for existing control unit

flyman

My elderly parents have a basic alarm system which has worked perfectly for over 20 years. The control unit has now gone faulty and requires replacement. Could you recommend a replacement unit which only has to cover two PIR zones and one entry/exit. The existing unit is key control under the stairs which is no longer ideal and I would prefer to fit a remote keypad just inside the entrance door. The external box should also be replaced so if you feel a complete kit would be a better deal then if you could recommend one it would be great. I should say that they are now looking to move to a retirement home so the system will probably only have to last them for about a year so the cheaper the better but still reliable.

I installed the original system and have never worked on one since, can I assume that the original 4 wire cabling will suffice so long as it is still in good condition.

Jim

4 wires wil only allow door contacts or movement sensors without a tamper circuit. this would require 6 wires to comply and use a normal double pole arrangement. we cant offer support to non pro installers.

Id look at a panel that offers eol wiring configuration as this will allow both alarm and tamper signals down 2 wires.

many panels offer this though few bottom end ones do. if you only have 2 circuits id suggest one of the honeywell basic kits with 2 pir's and add your own sounder. obviously this will require re cabling. modern sab sounders require 5 wires minimum so this will probably require a new cable anyway.

Have a look at the accenta if recabling or the texecom premier if using existing cable. There are cheaper panels than thr premier but the manuals are superb for the begineer.

Support

Thanks for the fast reply. Do you not sleep :)

After reading your reply I called and checked the system and yes, I had used 6 wire everywhere. I should have checked before posting instead of relying on memory from 20 years ago. Do you think the accenta minigen 4 and Ventcroft evolution sounder would be suitable?

Thanks again

Jim