Security Warehouse Support Forum

Alarm connections

Eggy

Just installed my 1st panel (in my own place)!!

All seems to have gone ok but I'm wondering what to use for the "loop" connections between tamper wires.

I've got 8 zones to link and "choc block" (aka terminal strip) seems a bit excessive.

What have you used?

When fitting lower end panels that combine all zone tampers in a single circuit, I always used

a terminal strip. I also soldered each pair of wires in the loop to ensure a good connection (probably

excessive) and then mounted the terminal strip somewhere sensible/accessible in the panel enclosure.

If you do this, then if you get an open trigger on the tamper loop, you can quickly narrow down the

cause with a voltmeter.

Adding a label detailing each pair can also make fault finding much easier if you need to look at it a

couple of years later.

Cheers.

Yes, of course. If you look at panels like the Honeywell Galaxy range, you'll see that the panels have a number of zones that can be expanded using expansion modules (the panel number details the max number of zone circuits, but the panel itself already has a qty availabl). The zone circuits combine tamper and other detection features by using a balanced circuit on two wires. Basically what this means is that the circuits are terminated with resistors that allow different voltage levels for different situations. That way a zone trigger can be distinguished from a tamper, an anti-mask, zone short circuit or a zone open circuit. This cuts down the number of wire cores required to go to a sensor. Best practice is still to fit six core though! Hope this provides an insight...